The weather in London becomes cooler in October as summer turns into autumn.
Admire the riot of autumnal colours as the city's parks change from vivid greens to warm coppers, golds and russet reds. Take a trip to Kew Gardens or Richmond Park, London's largest open space, to see this beautiful display of colours.
British schools break up for a half-term holiday in October, so look out for special children's activities at many London attractions.
October events in London
Art and culture in October
- View and buy contemporary art or historical gems at Frieze London and Frieze Masters art fairs in Regent's Park.
- Celebrate the cultural diversity of London this month, as Trafalgar Square usually hosts free festivals such as Africa on the Square and Diwali.
- Explore history, art and heritage after dark in museums and galleries across the city during October's Museums at Night.
- Get a taste of American sport and spectacle as London usually hosts a series of NFL games in September and October.
London food festivals in October
- Experience London's top restaurants and meet celebrity chefs during the month-long London Restaurant Festival, offering special one-off menus and food-themed events.
- Sample classic and original new mixes during London Cocktail Week, with events, discounts and tastings across the city.
- Surround yourself with all things chocolate at the delicious Chocolate Show at Olympia London.
Halloween in London
London celebrates Halloween on and around 31 October with an array of themed events, from family activities at museums, to spooky London tours and frightening events. Take a look at what's on this Halloween in London.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.